Tuesday, March 13, 2007

A Video supporting War Child: an organisation trying to help children affected by war.

When I was a boy, my dad, Larry Stout, a news reporter, told me some shocking things about his trips overseas. I remember him telling me about his trip to Nicaragua to report on the civil war there. He told me that he had met a boy soldier. The boy was carrying an AK47 assault rifle. My Dad told me that it was a very sad and frightening experience. Perhaps I am interested in global issues because of the stories my dad told me.

I have also learned a lot about the world through my participation in The Social Issues Project at Kanto International High School. Through the Social Issues Project, Kanto International High School Students learned that war is one of the biggest causes of the poverty, homelessness and abuse suffered by children all over the world.

War Child has headquarters in The UK, Canada and the Netherlands. Many very famous musicians support War Child including: Our Lady Peace and Sum 41 from Canada, Paul McCartney, Oasis, Radiohead, and David Bowie from The UK and U2 from Ireland. This video is for a song called Broken by Helen J Hicks from the band Honeyriders for War Child Music. I hope you will enjoy the video and also think about what you can do to help children affected by war.