Wednesday, September 05, 2007

My Adventures in Japan Part 2: Gifu, Nagoya and Kyoto

The first trip I made outside the Kanto area was to Gifu, Nagoya and Kyoto. I took the shinkansen, which is also known as the "bullet train". As you can see, I was very excited.

Gifu is in the middle of the island of Honshu. This area is called Chubu. Gifu City is very close to Nagoya, just 20 minutes away on a local train.

I visited a squirrel zoo in Gifu. I found it very strange to pay ¥600 (about CN$6.00) to see squirrels. In Toronto there are wild squirrels everywhere. If you want to see squirrels you can just look out your window. Many people in Toronto have squirrel feeders in their yards.

This the ticket for the ropeway up Mount Kinka and the Squirrel zoo.

Gifu is famous for paper lanterns called chouchin (提灯). I went to a chouchin shop. The master kindly let me watch him make a lantern. It was very interesting.

Gifu is also famous for cormorant fishing. Cormorant fishing is called ukai (鵜飼). I saw ukai in Gifu. The picture below is of a fisherman taking a cormorant out of its cage.

After I visited Gifu I went to Kyoto. I walked down many interesting streets in Kyoto.


My favourite place in Kyoto is Kiyomizu-dera. The view is spectacular.

In the picture below I'm drinking water from the waterfall at Kiyomizu-dera called Otawa-no-taki. It is said that drinking this water gives you good health, a long life, and success in your studies.

I was very lucky to meet maiko while I was at Kiyomizu-dera. Maiko are apprentice geisha.

I also visited Kinkaku-ji (金閣寺), which is called the Temple of the Golden Pavillion in English.

The picture below is a zen garden at Roan-ji in Kyoto. It looks quiet and peaceful, doesn't it?


After Kyoto, I went to Nagoya. The picture below is of Nagoya Castle.


In this picture I'm sitting on a replica of one of the mythical golden dolphins that are on the roof of Nagoya castle.

That's all for now. Next time Mie!

4 comments:

  1. omg! I erally enjoyed reading your blog!
    I also have been to Kyoto(kiyomizu-dera)! there, I enjoyed shopping!haha
    and I love your picture with Shinkansen!XD really looks exciting!hehe:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great!! I like to look your picture!!
    I visited Kyoto as junior high school trip and I love Kiyomizu dera because of view. There are very different from Tokyo, so I plan to go to Kyoto with my friends when I go back to Japan next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Thank you for your comments.
    I was surprised that you WERE slim lol
    I sat on the golden dolphin, and took same pictures as you.
    ( ´_ゝ`)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:04 pm

    beautiful!
    I've ever been to Kyoto.
    thenIwas juniourhiscool.
    Ithought,japanese is great!

    ReplyDelete