Friday, April 24, 2009

Travel English Unit 3: Can I change some money here?



Today's lesson is about money! Let's look at the lesson plan.

Lesson goals
  • Learn and remember the names of foreign currencies.
  • Listen to big numbers. Listen and choose the correct price.
  • Say big numbers with good pronunciation.
  • Remember useful words, phrases and vocabulary that you can use at a foreign exchange office.
  • Learn how to keep your money safe while travelling.
  • Complete a practice test.

Part 1: Foreign Currencies

  • Make a list of currencies you know.
  • Click the picture above. Look at the notes. What currencies are in the picture?
  • Click this link: Travel Lesson 3.
  • Look at the right side of Mr. Stout's Blog. Use the currency conversation exchange widget. Fill in the table below:

Foreign CurrencyYen (¥)
Four hundred U.S. dollars¥42,718
One thousand Indian Rupees
Forty thousand Hong Kong dollars
Sixty Canadian dollars
Seven hundred Australian dollars
Fifty British Pounds
Eight hundred Euros

Part 2: Understanding large numbers and prices

  • Listen to the conversations and do the task on p.10 of your textbook.
  • Practice saying long numbers.

Part 3: Vocabulary



Part 4: Keeping your money safe.

  • Read the background notes on p. 60 of your textbook. Answer the questions below:
  1. Where can you change money and travellers' cheques?
  2. Give two reasons why using travellers' cheques is a good idea.
  3. What the 5 rules at the end of the background notes?
Part 5: Practice Test
  • Click this link: Passport Online Tests. Choose Units 2 and 3. Do the test. Print your score and give it to Mr. Stout.

That's all. Have a nice Golden Week. Do you have any travel plans? Please post a comment and tell me.

1 comment:

  1. The other day,I bought a textbook by mistake,"Homestay Adventures".I try to return this,but the receipt is required.I lost the receipt.So,I couldn't return.Then,I have a good idea.I have this, namely I can answer also Homestay class' quizes, if I read this in my house.I don't have to return this textbook.I use this textbook while reading Mr.Stout's blog.,May I use this textbook in this way ,Mr.Stout?Can I comment Homestay class' assignment on this blog ,okay?If I can do this ,money I used is not in vain.
    And I answer about travel calss, a currency.I have watched a TV show about Zimbabwe's currency.In Zimbabwe, they're suffered about extremely inflation.Because the president issues too much currency.He is so selfish,so the citizen is in big troble.It's miserable.We have to tackle with this problem togeter in the world, not Zimbabwe peaple but also other foreigh countries' people.We are relative to foreign coutries anytime.

    ReplyDelete